HomeWorking MothersCan I claim myself & my 5 year old even though I didn’t work?
Posted in Working Mothers on 2nd May 2011

Can I claim myself & my 5 year old even though I didn’t work?
I’m a F/T stay-at-home-mom & a P/T college student.I stayed home last year because I wanted to breastfeed our baby for a whole year.To do something I have never had the chance to do with my other two children.I raise my 5 yr old & our 1 yr old.I lost T.A.N.I.F for my 5yr old because the baby was born in the “CAP” time.I have WIC & Food Stamps.But those only take care of food.I need money for a place to stay(Which I already have lined up & I can own it in a few years.,Just would need some money to survive on til I get a job) My Guardians screwed with my name & apparently didn’t do a legal name change when they changed my name.So,when my State I.D. expired,my G/F helped pay the $ 41.00 so I could change my name to what I have on my certified birth Certificate.Then I had to be jerked around for almost 6 months til I received my State I.D…So now I have it & it’s been about 2 weeks since I received it & now I have to get my kids in a Daycare because – as of right now – all I have is a babysitter (Another best friend who comes to sleepover on monday nights & wednesday nights-away from her B/F,so she can get a ride & be here on time to watch my kids so I can go to college.She has the baby in the morning at 10ish am & then gets my 5yr old off the bus & has the both of them til a little after 7pm.But she’s unable to keep them all week when I work.I JUST RECEIVED THE DAYCARE ASSISTANCE LETTER TODAY! So,after i fill that out,then I can go to work..SO TO ALL THOSE JUDGMENTAL PEOPLE OUT THERE: Some of us “Mothers” just can’t do certain things at the time to make everyone happy.We do what we need to do as a mother as best as we can.To the best of our ability & for survival.

The biological father helps out with the needs & birthdays of my 5 yr old & the same for the baby.Technically not,he actually relies on his Grandmother to do it all & she does.But anyway…Til just recently,he has left us because he’s the problem & I told him he had to leave because it is easier for him to find a place to stay with friends then it is for me & the girls.My friends suggest a shelter,but I don’t want to expose my girls to that unless I REALLY had to & I don’t.& I don’t want to take a bed from a woman whose life is in danger where as mine isn’t.I feel that it would be wrong.So,the lease doesn’t run out til May & we have to tell the Landlord in March that we’re not staying another whole year.He’s actually left that responsibility up to me.What a pussy! Well,he’s been gone for four days & i didn’t know when he was coming back.Well,he came back today to get his tax paperwork.So far in our past conversations & when I spoke with him on the phone on January 30,2010,he said he was going to give me $ 1000 out of his taxes because he’s going to claim my 5 year old,me,our daughter & his Obviously his work..Anyway,my G/F (Best friend to all those who think it’s wierd to be straight & have a friend who’s straight & refer her to you as my “G/F) says it’s better than nothing.I agree,but because a mothers job is never done til the day she dies-lol…How come the state can’t pay us some money for taking care of our kids.We-as a mother-have the hardest job on earth..so-to-speak.When a man goes to work,he works & when he comes home when his shift is over..That’s it,his job is done.A mothers job is around the clock.If a child wakes up in the night due to nightmares or growing pains or a wet diaper.Guess who wakes up to take care of that?The mother! So,I ask you,can I claim myself & my 5 year old even though he’s been financially taking care of us?

Best answer(s):

Answer by the tax lady
Short version of this post, no you don’t get anything if you file. Unless you bought a house in 2009, none of the 4 refundable credits apply to you.

Since you won’t get anything, you can freely sign the form 8332 and give it to the father. With it, he can legally file and claim the exemption and child tax credit with the child you had together. He CANNOT file HOH, child care or EIC. He *must* file the form with his taxes or he’ll be commiting fraud.

As the NON-custodial parent he gets NOTHING without the form.

Answer by Tua-Nei T
if you didn’t have any source of income then no. unless you have a w2 claiming that you worked in 2009 then yes you can claim. because her biological has been financially taking care of you guys then he is more than likely going to claim that so he can get some money back from uncle sam

Answer by artillerygirl01
You have no income to file a tax return on, so trying to file and claim the kids yourself is pointless.

Related Post for How can I read faster?

Why might a guy repeatedly stand up a woman he says is “too good” for him?
What do you believe in? State your reasons.?
Is there any vrse in the quran which preaches tolerance and acceptance of other religions?
How can I read faster?